Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Southern Chicken & Dumplings

 
 
Ok, so I am an island girl who grew up in California and have lived in Texas for almost 8yrs. I didn't discover this glorious comfort food until just last year (shhhh...it's ok). I was making Matzo Ball Soup (I know...I'm so cultural! Actually my hubby is 1/4 Jew and grew up on this traditional soup and it happens to be one of my family's favorite meals. I craved it so much during my 4th pregnancy that I had no choice but to learn how to make it.)...ok where was I?..right. I was making Matzo Ball Soup and thought...why haven't I made Chicken & Dumplings? It's the same thing just omit the matzo balls and add dumplings. So, I split the soup in half, thickened one pot and added said dumplings and we had both! Can I tell you...Amazing. I couldn't believe it had taken me so long to try and it has quickly become another family favorite!
Southern Chicken & Dumplings
1 whole chicken
2 onions, sliced
6 garlic cloves, smashed
6 sprigs of thyme
2 boxes chicken stock+ 3 qts water
6 lg carrots, sliced in 1/2 in pieces
1 bunch celery, sliced in 1/2 in pieces
In a large stock pot add chicken, garlic, thyme, onions, stock, water, 2 carrots and inner parts of celery. Season liberally with salt and pepper.  Cook uncovered until chicken 45min or until chicken is cooked all the way through and falling apart. Remove chicken to cool. At this point you can strain the stock or just pick out thyme sprigs if you like it more rustic. I'm a rustic kind of girl..aka..a bit lazy so I just pick out the sprigs...whatever gets you to your happy place :).
Dumplings
2 c flour
1 tsp salt
ice water
In a med mixing bowl, mix flour and salt and make a well in the center. Add ice water a little bit at a time while kneading in all the flour gradually by hand. It will take about 3/4 c. You will have a relatively stiff dough but shouldn't feel too dry. Don't panic...you're almost there. If an island girl from Cali can do it..so can you!
 
 Roll out dough on lightly floured surface. About 1/8 in thick or as long as your guns hold out. It's going to look like a terribly dry pie crust. Stay with me. It's going to be ok. Right, where were we?.. Cut into 1/2 in. strips and then into 1 in. pieces. I just ripped them by hand. Again...whatever makes you happy.
Ok, this is my favorite part... Shred every bit of meat off that chicken! I hear my grandma's voice every time I'm picking chicken off the bone. Every. Last. Bit. Ok, maybe I'm a little weird.
 This is the home stretch! Add carrots and celery to stock that's been boiling away and is so perfectly seasoned...(now would be a good time to check your seasonings and adjust). If you like a thicker soup, add a slurry of flour and cold water through a strainer to avoid lumps. About the consistency of a thin gravy. Add dumplings and chicken. Let come to boil. Dumplings are done when they float to the surface. 3-4 min. Boom. Your family will love you. Ok, they already do but this soup will make them love you more:).
Perfection.


No comments:

Post a Comment